Subject: Re: [boost] RFC: edit_distance / edit_alignment library
From: Erik Erlandson (eje_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-16 16:45:47

> I've been considering possible alternate names for the functions:
> edit_distance / edit_alignment
> or: edit_cost / edit_path
> or: edit_cost / edit_script

Come to think of it, now that the interface sits on top of boost::parameter, it ought to be possible to simply present the single 'edit_distance' function, and enable the path-output implementations iff an '_output = outputter_class' is provided.

Tangentially, I considered 'edit_cost' instead of 'edit_distance' mostly because in the general case, the function may violate the definition of a distance metric, for example if the cost of insertion is different than the cost of deletion. In that case, edit_cost(seq1, seq2) != edit_cost(seq2, seq1).