Subject: Re: [boost] [git] Submodule's readme and logo
From: Adam Wulkiewicz (adam.wulkiewicz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-16 18:16:12

Hi Andrew,

Andrew Hundt wrote:
> I like the style and how they are more low profile when they are carved out
> as white. I also think it is good that boost is a bit smaller than the
> library name. For the icons themselves I would change a couple of the ones
> that look like they could easily apply to something else.
> Here are my thoughts on each icon:
>
> 1. array - What about something like a solar panel look or some other
> analogous array of physical material or objects? The current one looks a
> bit like a dotted line.

I like this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Very_Large_Array ;)
There are more variants in array.svg / png but I don't like any of them.
I just picked the best IMO. So if you have some idea it definietly
should be tested.

> 2. atomic - I like that one, did you also consider the classic atom
> symbol? This one is public domain and could be applied once the colors are
> swapped: http://www.clker.com/clipart-atom-1.html
Sure may look ok.
> 3. bimap - seems good
If there were existing logos I wanted to use some key elements from them.
> 4. bind - nice
Just needs polishing.
> 5. boost book - love it
Yes, I like it too. Taken from the original logo.
> 6. build - I guess this is the existing logo, but I would like if this
> was the container logo better.
Check build.png
> 7. circular buffer - love it
> 8. config - I know a gear is frequently used for configuration, but
> perhaps it should be saved for something that is for run time configuration
> rather than compile time?
Yes, I know what you mean. Some switches, control lights?
> 9. container - perhaps it could be a simple treasure chest outline? The
> current one looks like it would be for a build system.
Yes it's a good idea, however I'd prefer more industrial chest.
Check also container.png (connected dots - a metaphor for a list).
> 10. function - I like it
> 11. fusion - love it
I just thought that one ball could be some different shape, e.g. a
square or triangle becasue it's a fusion of two different things.
> 12. geometry - nice, I wonder what would a simplified boost logo in a
> boost logo would look like for this?
Hmm, worth trying.
> 13. inspect - magnifying glass is frequently used for search, though I
> don't have an alternative idea off hand.
A magnifying glass on a Inspector Gadget's remote arm ;)
> 14. lock free - lock is frequently used for security, perhaps an open
> door?
Door means 'exit' to me.
It could be something which is related to some kind of synchronization
(or rather the lack of it), like disabled stop lights or opened
rail-semaphore.

> 15. log - ok but not inspiring, perhaps there is a good way to capture
> streams aka arrows going into a drive, container, or that stack of
> cylinders that is sometimes used to represent data storage?
This is more suitable for serialization. But I can make it more complex,
e.g. add a writing board.
> 16. MPL - I like it
> 17. numeric conversion - what if the arrows were made a little smaller
> and there was a 2.0 on one end and a 2 on the other?
Good idea! We have also Conversion (could have only arrows, probably
different shape) and LexicalCast (with letters).
> 18. polygon - why not a simplified version of one of those nice shapes
> in the polygon documentation?
This supposed to be a fragment of voronoi diagram ;) Sure, we can for
sure choose some picture which will look nice but it musn't be too
complicated.
> 19. program options - this is decent, what about literally putting the
> text "--po" sans quotes there in the boost font? That would capture it 100%
> unambiguously
Sure.
> 20. SmartPtr - It is good
> 21. static assert - not as enthusiastic about this one. perhaps an
> exclamation mark alone or an exclamation mark with sparks aka static?
Yes, this is nice idea.
> 22. test - fair enough, it clicks
Also taken from the old logo ;)
> 23. tuple - nice, but needs to be better distinguished from variant
> 24. unordered - what about the numbers 1,3,2 in little boxes?
I'd also scatter them, they could look nice.
> 25. utility - the standard utility logo works for me
> 26. variant - I would change this to distinguish it from tuple, maybe a
> circle in a box and a triangle in a box?
Yes this probably also needs some changes. We must remember that we also
have Any which is more or less similar. Well Variant is an alternative
for dynamic polimorphism so maybe something related to that?
> By the way what tool do you use to make those?
Inkscape

If you like to play with it I can give you access to the repo.

As I've said, more versions can be found in separate files.
Since the final decision should be made by libraries authors/maintainers
I'd like to hear what they think about it.

Regards,
Adam