Subject: Re: [boost] [git] Why are we using Github (was: The any library does not pull cleanly because of a forced update on develop and master)
From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-18 02:55:25

On 12.12.2013 02:19, Cox, Michael wrote:
> Which brings me to a question I've been wanting to get answered: why was
> Github chosen in the first place? I know it's the 900-lb gorilla in public
> git repository hosts, but I think Bitbucket allows so much more flexibility
> in configuring your repositories:
>
> - Individual branches and wild-card refs can be configured with who is
> allowed to commit (which can be a group).

Another problem with github model is that it promotes this fork-and-pull-request
model, which then creates a history where every second commit is 'merged pull request N',
which is not very useful. On the other hand, many other projects are using gerrit,
where contributors clone locally, made changes and then push to a special magic
ref on a server, which creates online review. Contributors of course can share
their changes by pushing them to other repositories, but in the end, you end up
with a clean logical patches to the official repository.

Was this model considered for Boost?

Thanks,
Volodya