Subject: [boost] servers (Re: [git] Why are we using Github)
From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-18 07:40:06

On 18.12.2013 16:29, Daniel James wrote:
> On 18 December 2013 07:55, Vladimir Prus <ghost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>
>> On the other hand, many other projects are using
>> gerrit,
>> where contributors clone locally, made changes and then push to a special
>> magic
>> ref on a server, which creates online review. Contributors of course can
>> share
>> their changes by pushing them to other repositories, but in the end, you end
>> up
>> with a clean logical patches to the official repository.
>
> I have no experience with gerrit, but I worry about server maintenance
> - Trac is neglected nowadays, and I had to upgrade the wordpress
> installation on the server to close some serious security holes in
> older versions.

Do you mean having available hardware, or manual effort to keep servers running?

There are at least two issues where some more server-side support would help:

- Right now, Boost.Build nightly docs are supposed to be generated on 'my' server, picked up
by webserver, and served from there. That's rather fragile configuration.

- We have test results generated by xsltproc, which is extremely slow, and does not allow
for anything interesting, like history. It might be easy to switch to using database,
but it requires a server with a database.

Thanks,
Volodya