Subject: Re: [boost] [git] Why are we using Github (was: The any library does not pull cleanly because of a forced update on develop and
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-18 20:30:41

On 19 Dec 2013 at 11:41, Gavin Lambert wrote:

> Most of his remarks are how GitHub isn't suited to the
> Linux-kernel-specific workflow, and aren't really relevant to any other
> projects.

Mmm ... github's present design is pretty good for smaller more
informal projects, but it doesn't scale out well. I am unsure if
Boost is big enough at the per library level to see any such scaling
problems though. I think the scaling problems will occur only in
changes to those libraries which have a ton of dependencies, because
the new modular system currently scales out change ripple control
very badly.

I think Linus is mostly annoyed that there isn't a toggle for an
advanced pull request UI for github, because with very little extra
work (a few extra form fields with the signer etc) you'd be a lot
closer to good enough.

> And about the word wrapping, he's just *wrong*. :)

I get his point about not being able to easily mix up commentary (72
char wrap) with source code quotes (no wrap). A lot of github issues
I see contain patches which are utterly useless after github has
mangled them. Why github so mangles text in so many inconsistent ways
depending on which part of github you're in I really don't get, and
on that I definitely agree with Linus.

A simple rich text editor could fix all these problems. But, then, so
could structured text support for commit messages in git, and Linus
could very easily arrange that :)

Niall

--
Currently unemployed and looking for work.
Work Portfolio: http://careers.stackoverflow.com/nialldouglas/