Subject: Re: [boost] [git] How the blazes are you supposed to update all thesubmodules?
From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-19 08:40:42

>> BTW I have every library set explicitly to either "develop" or "master".
>
> IMO for libraries that you're not working on the best thing is to use
> whatever the superproject uses and not bother with branches. We might
> set the submodules to a different commit for some reason, so you could
> end up developing against the wrong version of a module.

OK, in other words basically ignore the issue?

The danger of this is breakages - for example Boost.Build has completely
stopped working for me because the super-project was updated but the
subproject was not. A manual update of the boost.build subproject fixed
things, but I suspect not everyone would realize that was what was needed.

Whatever I suspect folks (well this one at least!) will need some very clear
guidance on this,

Thanks, John.