Subject: Re: [boost] [git] How the blazes are you supposed to update all the submodules?
From: Klaim - Joël Lamotte (mjklaim_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-20 06:15:12

[sidenote about guis]
I've used TortoiseGit for some time but I don't like the fact that they
keep trying to emulate TortoiseSVN. TortoiseHg does it (for mercurial) in a
better way by just keeping the basic principles of TortoiseSVN but not
keeping the SVN-induced interface of TortoiseSVN. It means that the best
way to work with DSVC is often to have a separate interface to see the
overall tree of commits and other repository informations, so they provide
a "workbench".

These days I only use SourceTree for both git and hg. It's cross platform,
it's almost as useful as the TortoiseHg workbench and it manage as many
repositories (and subrepos) as you want in only one interface.
Other pros: it allowed me to understand git flow better, it provides
pre-configured terminal in the context of a repository so that you can do
recipes the hard way if you want, and it can (if you chose to do it this
way) use an embedded hg/git version instead of the one installed on the OS.
Cons: it's often slow to respond, but last versions have been improved a
lot on this side. I also have some issues with some details of the ergonomy
but from exchanges with the devs, I apparently have an alien way of using
some of the features.

Basically, if TortoiseGit don't feels right and you don't want to use
command line all the time, I suggest trying SourceTree.
I have the boost repo in SourceTree right now, but didn't tried forking
etc. yet, so I have no idea if it will manage the load manipulating 150+
submodules.

I'm studying/trying other tools too for use in cross-plateform contexts, so
if you have other suggestiions of tools, I'm interested.
[/sidenote]