Subject: Re: [boost] [git] Effects of git submodule update
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-24 10:45:49

On Mon, Dec 23, 2013 at 2:17 PM, Robert Ramey <robertmacleranramey_at_[hidden]
> wrote:

> On Monday, December 23, 2013 8:47:21 AM UTC-8, Beman Dawes wrote:
> <snip ..>
>
> Comments welcome,
>>

> Beman.
>
> This is beyond awesome !!!! (I can't believe I used the word "awesome")
>
> I've been dabbled with git on my own machine (now a new machine) for a few
> months
> and it's been OK but I never really "got" the branching/merging, etc.....
> Mainly this
> is because I didn't really have to yet. I've also been lurking around
> waiting for
> the smoke to clear with boost modularization - a cowardly position I know,
> but expedient in my particular circumstances right now. The work you've
> done
> is getting this organized AND well explained is incredible. I'm aware
> that the dust has to settle some. But this looks to me like it's going to
> support a whole new trajectory for boost. It makes me very, optimistic
> about future of boost and C++ in general.
>
> Personally, I don't think that it's too much to say that boost saved C++.
>
> And I don't think it's too much to say that you're saving boost right now.

Robert, thank you very much for the kind words. Knowing that work is
appreciated is a strong motivation to continue!

But do remember this is a long process with a lot of people contributing,
both now and in the past. Dave Abrahams and Daniel Pfeifer deserve special
mention for several years of work on the git and modular boost conversion
implementation. The release managers and boost.build team are working on
infrastructure. The testers will soon be doing their part. And mailing list
participants are providing the ideas and feedback that drive the whole
process.

Thanks to all,

--Beman