Subject: [boost] Reminder about links when running b2 headers
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-24 11:29:43

There was already a discussion about why the creation of hard links to
individual files in the boost directory is inferior to the creation of
symbolic links when the ability to create symbolic links is supported by
the OS. As a reminder, if a hard link is created and the submodule file
is replaced by git, the hard link will still refer to the old file
contents. Thus testing, when it refers to any of the hard linked header
files in the boost subdirectory, will go awry if this happens.

Can we please have this updated at the module boost superproject level
by some Boost Build guru so that symbolic links are created when allowed
by the OS ? Even if, as on Windows, administrator rights are needed to
create symbolic links it seems we could have some b2 headers
alternative, aka 'b2 headers_wadmin', which would create symbolic links
on Windows for users who have administrator rights. Of course on Linux
this is not a problem.

I realize this might not be easy to do even by a Boost Build expert but
unless we want to hear squawks and complaints from Boost
developers/end-users using our git/modular boost setup we need to change
to symbolic links when possible.