Subject: Re: [boost] [git][multi_index] help merging from develop
From: Daniel James (daniel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-25 07:14:33

On 25 December 2013 12:06, Joaquin M Lopez Munoz <joaquin_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Daniel James <daniel <at> calamity.org.uk> writes:
>

>> On 25 December 2013 11:42, Joaquin M Lopez Munoz <joaquin <at> tid.es> wrote:
>> >
>> > So, I did as Daniel instructed and seemingly eveything's OK now
>> > in master branch. So, should I do
>> >
>> > git checkout develop
>> > git merge -s ours
>> >
>> > to sync up SHAs between master and develop, or should I leave like that?
>>
>> You can, but you don't need "-s ours":
>>
>> git checkout develop
>> git merge master
>>
>> It should be a fast-forward merge.
>
> This I did, and the merge was indeed a fast-forward one, but Git refuses
> to do then a commit on grounds that there are no changes:

You don't need to do a commit after a fast-forward merge, as it just
moves you to the latest version from the other branch. But I forgot
that we're avoiding fast-forward merges, so it's probably best not to
merge from master at all. You can remove all your local changes using:

git checkout develop
git reset origin/develop

That resets the develop branch back to its state on the server. If
you're only making changes on develop, merges to master shouldn't
conflict. You'll also have a clean history in develop, which will be
useful for looking at the history of files.