Subject: Re: [boost] Getting Started with Modular Boost Library Maintenance
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-25 19:28:35

On Wed, Dec 25, 2013 at 2:52 PM, Cox, Michael <mhcox_at_[hidden]>wrote:

> On the StartModMaint page, there is command line sequence:
>
> cd modular-boost
> git checkout master
> git pull
> git submodule update
>
> Shouldn't that be "git checkout develop"?

No. Read the explanation about testing a submodule's development branch
against super project master and master (as of the super-project) for all
other libraries.

> Are we not using the develop
> branch at all?

The library being worked on is encouraged to use a development branch such
as "develop". The commands to do the checkout appear a bit after the
sequence you quoted above.

cd modular-boost/libs/mylib
git checkout develop

> P.S. I tried to merge the develop branch onto the master branch in my
> superproject of my local repositories to simulate a release of boost. I
> got a ton of conflicts (looks like mostly submodule reference commits).

AFAIK, the release managers (who are presumably the only folks who would
ever do super-project merges) are just cherry-picking for now. I'm not sure
how Daniel's script to update the submodules works.

--Beman