Subject: Re: [boost] [timer] conflict between tools/inspect and libs/timer
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-26 18:09:40

On Thu, Dec 26, 2013 at 10:20 AM, Peter A. Bigot <pab_at_[hidden]> wrote:

A recent merge to master libs/timer includes support for inspect in the
> test suite, but the invocation requires support for a search-root
> argument in inspect. That support is not present in tools/inspect's
> master branch, causing the libs/timer tests to fail.
>
> The following process could help detect inter-module dependencies like
> this:
>
> * Initiate your workspace with the superproject checked out on branch
> master and all modules on the resulting commit (ignore branches).
>
> * Checkout the develop branch only for the module(s) you're working on.
>
> * Use "git submodule summary" at the superproject level to determine how
> your workspace differs from what would be expected in the master
> branch. If multiple modules show changes, there's a risk of coupling,
> and it might not be appropriate to push any of them to their
> master branch.
>
> * Use "git submodule update" to reset things when switching development
> between modules.

The real problem was that I blindly followed my own instructions, which
failed to mention testing after the merge. I've now fixed that.

See
https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/StartModMaint#Lightweightlibraryrelease

The tools/inspect problem should clear with the next super-project release.

Thanks for the report!

--Beman