Subject: Re: [boost] [git] automated update of superproject master branch
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-27 11:38:56

On Fri, Dec 27, 2013 at 11:21 AM, Peter A. Bigot <pab_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> I realize there are several email threads about how the super-project
> branch should be managed, but most pre-date live experience with boost on
> git and go deep into other aspects of the issue, so I still want to call
> this out specially:
>
> https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/ModBigPicture specifies that the
> master branch on each module should be stable at all times, which is the
> right policy.
>
> Currently, the master branch on the super-project is automatically updated
> twice(?) per hour selecting all updates to the master branches of modules.
> Consequently, super-project master is the exact opposite of stable.
>
> This divergence is confusing. I'm unconvinced that waiting a few days will
> demonstrate a significant decrease in churn on the super-project master
> branch. Some is due to multiple updates to specific modules, which might
> decrease as maintainers become more familiar with git and only push once,
> but interoperability issues will still arise and there will be no way to
> tell which master branch commits produce a working Boost installation.
>
> There is value in having a branch with automated-update semantics, but IMO
> regardless of what the final policy will be, "master" is not the right
> choice for this, and automated updates of it should stop ASAP. Perhaps the
> update script can simply be moved to occur on latest/master and
> latest/develop. Leave master untouched until whatever gets committed to it
> has undergone cross-toolchain integration validation, and make develop
> available for changes to superproject content that are not just submodule
> updates.

Several release managers exchanged emails about this earlier today, and the
consensus was to start a discussion on the list based on the Dimov
proposal. But that discussion hasn't started yet and the earliest any
actual change can be made is sometime next week. Remember, we are all
unpaid volunteers.

Thanks,

--Beman