Subject: Re: [boost] [git-help][urgent] How do I ignore an upstream change to one file?
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-27 22:50:05

On 12/27/2013 10:02 PM, Rene Rivera wrote:
> When I attempt to do an update of the boost superproject I get and error:
>
> Froggy:develop grafik$ git pull
> error: Your local changes to the following files would be overwritten by
> merge:
> tools/regression/src/regression.py
> Please, commit your changes or stash them before you can merge.
> Aborting
> Froggy:develop grafik$
>
> I know I've made changes. I also know I don't want to throw away my
> changes. I also know that I don't want to merge the upstream changes to
> that one file. Hence.. How do I do a pull and have git ignore the upstream
> of only that file? (i.e. throw away the upstream changes because I know
> that my changes supersede them)

When you merge the change just choose your version of the conflicted
file instead of the version you are pulling in order to resolve the
conflict if you want to ignore the upstream changes.

In TGIT in Windows there is a user interface to do this so I am not sure
how it is done from the command line "git pull". But the idea, which you
probably already know, is that the merge, which results from the 'git
pull" is just resolving your copy of the repository and does nothing to
change the upstream repository.