Subject: Re: [boost] [git-help][urgent] How do I ignore an upstream change to one file?
From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-28 16:10:19

I'm replying to this one message specifically because you will need to redo
some of the work you did on one of the previous commits..

On Sat, Dec 28, 2013 at 4:06 AM, Daniel James <daniel_at_[hidden]>wrote:

> On 28 December 2013 03:36, Rene Rivera <grafikrobot_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> >
> > And now that I did a commit to attempt to steamroll over the upstream
> > changes.. And to let the pull do a merge.. The merge fails. How the hell
> do
> > I fix this? And how is it that I have yet to come across anything in git
> > that is a *single* command :-(
>
> You can checkout a file from any commit using 'git checkout ref --
> path', in this case I think you need:
>
> git checkout HEAD -- tools/regression/src/regression.py

I didn't get a chance to try that.. Instead I did a reset (I tried 3
different ways with Egit). It was a hard reset.. Then followed by reverting
the commit that was causing me problems.. Unfortunately this removed all
the changes in the commit. Instead of the one file I wanted to revert. I
have no idea how to revert *just* *one* *file*. I then found out when
trying to do the merge that git had decided to irreparably delete changes
I had made that somehow my local commit had not saved. I only saved myself
as I had older copies of the deleted files.

I'm close to totally giving up on this whole thing as I'm running out of
free time.. As in I'm seriously considering giving up on managing Boost
testing.. This is not worth the amount of stress involved in using git..
Especially as my daughter screams at me for attention.

Bye.

-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything