Subject: Re: [boost] [git-help][urgent] How do I ignore an upstream change to one file?
From: Phil Richards (news_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-29 15:40:54

On 29/12/2013 08:16, Cox, Michael wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 28, 2013 at 11:39 PM, Edward Diener <eldiener_at_[hidden]>wrote:
>> I am interested in this. Other than the hard reset, which tells git to
>> overwrite the working directory and index, I did not think that git would
>> ever throw away uncomitted changes, whether they are in the working
>> directory or the index. Would you please be specific about any situations
>> where git will overwrite the working directory/index without the user being
>> aware ?
> Just about any git command with a (-f | --force) option, e.g.
>
> git checkout -f HEAD
> git submodule update -f
> etc.
>
> Anytime you use a -f option you're telling git, "I know what I'm doing",
> whether that's true or not.
The only one that goes against this is:
     git checkout my_modified_file
which doesn't require a "-f", and overwrites your local modified file
(without warning) with the version that is in the repository.

Ok, so that was only a single file lost... but:
     git checkout .
does that to the whole directory, and, of course, is completely
different to:
     git checkout
which doesn't do anything harmful.

Phil