Subject: Re: [boost] [git] Bumping git version requirement to 1.7.10
From: Peter A. Bigot (pab_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-30 14:43:13

On 12/30/2013 08:47 AM, Beman Dawes wrote:
> https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/Git/GitHome documents Boost's version
> requirement for Git, currently at 1.7.3.
>
> The regression scripts are using the clone --single-branch option, which
> became available at git 1.7.10, so we are planning to bump the version
> requirement.
>
> Done anyone have a problem with this?

Personally, no. I also use Ubuntu 12.04-LTS which comes with 1.7.9, but
I use a more recent version of git that supports the process
requirements of another project I contribute to.

Practically, though, it shouldn't matter for anybody who doesn't use the
regression scripts. The git repository format is extremely stable.
Might be an issue if two versions were mutating the metadata in the same
repository, but pushing/pulling through a remote should be unaffected.

IOW, this requirement may not actually impact many people, especially if
testing is normally done in cloud VMs rather than on development machines.

Peter