Subject: Re: [boost] [git] Bumping git version requirement to 1.7.10
From: Peter A. Bigot (pab_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-31 07:43:05

On 12/31/2013 02:17 AM, Vladimir Prus wrote:
> On 30.12.2013 23:43, Peter A. Bigot wrote:
>>
>> IOW, this requirement may not actually impact many people, especially
>> if testing is normally done in cloud VMs rather than on development
>> machines.
>
> Why do you assume that testing happens on cloud VMs?

I don't. I thought I recently saw some discussion of how to set up a VM
to support the new scripts, so I tried to address that.

Updating a package on a development machine beyond what the vendor
provides introduces risk. What I meant to convey was, git version
requirements of a specific test-framework script need not affect people
who do not run that script, and if that's most people then the risk is
limited. Having a set of standard VM configurations for testing (on the
cloud or locally) also mitigates the risk.

In this context (a git dependency in regression.py), I am also
specifically referring to super-project regression testing, a subset of
testing that is primarily important for integration verification.
Continuous integration should be a Boost process goal given its
governance model, and CI is rarely done on a developer's desktop. I
would expect Boost to move toward doing regression testing on VMs,
perhaps on a hosted service like travis-ci.org which is free for open
source projects and has decent github integration.

Peter