Subject: Re: [boost] Versioning of individual modules
From: Mathias Gaunard (mathias.gaunard_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-31 09:10:34

On 30/12/13 18:32, Peter A. Bigot wrote:

> *) Should all modules be assigned version numbers, or may module
> "releases" be unversioned master commits that "inherit" the Boost
> version when incorporated into a release?
>
> My opinion: Don't bother unless there's clear evidence that the module
> will be shipped or used outside of a versioned Boost installation.
>
> *) If a module has a module-specific version number, should it be
> expected to provide that version number in a standard location and name
> so that preprocessor directives interrogate and adapt user code based on
> it? What mechanism should be used for this?

git describe --tags could be the right mechanism for this.
If you're on a tag, it gives you tagname. Otherwise it gives
lasttagname-numberofcommitssincethen-sha1.

> My opinion: Absolutely. If the module is named timer (sorry I keep
> picking on that module), then I would like to see:

I have a question about this:

Should module-specific version numbers start at 1.56, or whatever the
last Boost version before modularization was, or should they start at 1.0?