Subject: Re: [boost] [github] default PR destination
From: Cox, Michael (mhcox_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-01-07 21:27:45

On Sun, Jan 5, 2014 at 8:44 AM, Peter A. Bigot <pab_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On 01/05/2014 09:34 AM, Peter A. Bigot wrote:

>>> What is a developer supposed to do with a pull request against master?
>>>

>> Pull the branch to a local repository, merge it into develop, test it,
>> and reject or approve it. Normal git practice: see
>> https://help.github.com/articles/merging-a-pull-request under "Merging
>> locally".
>>

> If master and develop do not share commits (as I believe they will not
> under git-flow):

I noticed that there are some submodules where develop is based on master,
i.e. if you run "git branch --contains master", both master and develop are
output. Most of them, like you say, show master and develop to be
distinct. Won't that be a problem when trying to merge from develop to
master?

Just for grins, I took the accumulator submodule in which master and
develop don't share commits and tried to locally rebase develop onto
master. Unfortunately, the rebase failed early, but the few files I looked
at have the same change trying to be applied on both sides, i.e. the lines
between >>>> and ==== were the same as the lines between ==== and <<<<<.
 Any idea why that's the case?

It looks like develop might be able to be "reconnected" to master (at least
in accumulator), but it would take someone who understands the code and
history of changes.

Michael