Subject: Re: [boost] [Removing support for old compilers]
From: Adder (adder.thief_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-01-13 01:31:57

> Nevertheless, I still try to not break things under Borland, but that's kind
> of hard because we don't even have a Borland tester. (And there isn't - to
> my knowledge - a free version.)

A very quick guide to using a free version of the Borland C++ Compiler
(5.5) toolset may be found at the following address:

  http://adder.demo.iworks.ro/Go/2014-01-12_Borland/

It includes a few patches to the Standard Library implementation that
are quite important (as demonstrated by the also-included mini test
programs). As I have used them for a long time, I had almost forgotten
about them.

(Similar patches for std::auto_ptr are needed for all versions of
Borland/CodeGear/Embarcadero including 2013 aka XE5, whethey they use
RogueWave, STLport or Dinkumware. I also have versions for 2002 aka
Builder 6, 2006 and 2007 and I am going to upload them too.)

The mini-guide also describes a work-around for a long-standing bug in
the linker.

More recent versions can be used similarly, by downloading the trial
versions from the CodeGear/Embarcadero website and then using the
command line tools included. At least in older versions, the command
line tools were not bound by the trial time limit.

I am going to describe the modifications to borland.jam and other
files that have proven helpful for me (e.g. to support DEF (module
definition) files being passed to the linker) as soon as I have more
time...