Subject: Re: [boost] Boost.Fiber review January 6-15
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-01-23 10:47:43

On 23 Jan 2014 at 10:05, Nat Goodspeed wrote:

> The review of the proposed Boost.Fiber library ended on January 15,
> 2014. The verdict is: not in its present form.

Firstly thanks for such a detailed report Nat. It must have taken you
an age to collate and write.

> I received seven formal votes, abbreviated here:

I am very surprised there was only seven of us who voted. It seemed
like there was a lot more.

> "This is why I really wanted to see performance scaling graphs. If
> they show O(N log N) or worse, then the design is deeply flawed and
> the library must not enter Boost. Until we have such a graph, we can't
> know as there is no substitute for empirical testing."

One point of mine not mentioned in the report is that I would really
like to see Boost Fibers graphed against Windows Fibers on that
performance scaling graph. We know Windows Fibers are probably close
to optimal performance given all the tuning done to them thanks to
SQL Server competitions, therefore if we see the same scaling trend
with Fiber as Windows Fibers (even if a tenth of the absolute
performance) then we know the design is probably right and doesn't
contain any "gotchas".

Niall

--
Currently unemployed and looking for work in Ireland.
Work Portfolio: http://careers.stackoverflow.com/nialldouglas/