Subject: Re: [boost] [docs][website] Can the docs on the website be xhtml +svg?
From: Daniel James (dnljms_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-02-01 07:23:53

On 31 January 2014 18:05, John Maddock <john_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> However, now that you've jogged my memory(!), I see there are some docbook
> xsl params for setting the document type and adding:
>
> <xsl:param>chunker.output.doctype-public="-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
>
> <xsl:param>chunker.output.doctype-system="http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd"
>
> To the build options produces output which looks OK locally, and as it's
> HTML it doesn't need to be served as xml either, so I think that's problem
> solved!

That's what I was doing on the 'new-style' branch. The problem is that
the rendering changes a little in standards mode. One problem is that
margins are different in tables, to fix that I added to the CSS:

table th > *:first-child,
table td > *:first-child
{
    margin-top: 0;
}

table th > *:last-child,
table td > *:last-child
{
    margin-bottom: 0;
}

Which seems to work okay. I was also trying to convert it to use more
consistent units for fonts.

> PS You could use the above mechanism to get a HTML 5 doctype - however it's
> unlikely that boostbook actually generates valid HTML?

I think it does, but even in not, it's close enough. We could use the
alternative HTML5 doctype:

<!DOCTYPE html SYSTEM "about:legacy-compat">

But I don't know if browsers respect it. The 4.01 doctype should be fine.