Subject: [boost] [modular-boost] "b2 headers" behavior on Windows
From: Gennadiy Rozental (rogeeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-02-02 16:41:03

Vyacheslav Andrejev <mortituris <at> mail.ru> writes:

> Hello Gennadiy,
>
> GR> 1. Why does ./b2 headers on windows creates hardlink for each file
> GR> instead of directories? The process takes forever.
>
> tools/build/src/tools/link.jam is responsible for this behavior.
> In particular there is a rule that creates links to directories:

I do not really want to delve into details of our makesystem. Is there
someone who supports this now?

> As you can see this rule uses mklink /D to create a symbolic link. However
> by default in Windows users have no rights to create symbolic links. You

Really? I did not know that. I used junction.exe and Far to create links both
on XP and Win7 and it worked fine for both files and directories.

> can try to change /D to /J. I personally solved the problem by using an
> alternative command mklnk that exists in Take Command shell I use.

1. I need this to work in Far's shell, which is I believe regular cmd for the
most part.
2. There is indeed an issues with directory links on XP (during deletion it
deletes files), but I do not believe we need to care about this.

Gennadiy