Subject: [boost] [modular-boost] Dependency specification
From: Gennadiy Rozental (rogeeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-02-02 20:33:37

Daniel James <dnljms <at> gmail.com> writes:

> > 8. Dependency specification. This actually a big question, which can be
> > split into several:
> > 8.1 Is there place where I can see "released versions" for particular
> > library/submodule?
>
> Tags.

Can you please provide a bit more details. For example, if I want to know
what are released versions of boost.chrono what should I do?

> > 8.2. Is there way to tell which other boost submodules I depend on?
>
> Bcp.

What is the specific command?

> > 8.3 Can I specify specific release version I want to depend on (per
> > submodule)?
>
> You can do this manually, or with a bit of scripting.

This is not really adequate answer IMO. What I was after is to specify my
dependency in my Jamfile/CMakefile and make testing framework to figure out
the rest automatically. Is this realistic/in our plans?

Even if we are talking only about local testing, I think we need to develop
set of scripts to help boost developers with these mundane tasks.

> > 8.4 Can I somehow only checkout/pull the submodules I depend on?
>
> By combing the last two answers.

The same here: I think we need a scripts to do this.

> > 8.5 Can I check which submodules depend on me and checkout only those?
>
> I think you'll need to work that out for yourself.

Why is this difficult? Do we have an information about dependency graph
somewhere? And again I think we need a scripts to do this.

> > 8.6 Is there place where I can see which submodule version constitute
> > specific boost release?
>
> Tags again.

Script would be helpful.

Gennadiy