Subject: Re: [boost] [modular-boost] Development procedures
From: Vyacheslav Andrejev (mortituris_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-02-03 11:48:37

Hello Edward,

ED> mklink without any option creates a file symbolic link.

I know. The issue is in the links to directories.

ED> It does not test whether the user has administrator priveleges or
ED> not on Windows in order to create file symbolic links.

Yes, it doesn't. I didn't say it does. Moreover if it did, it would be a
big mistake, since the rights to create symbolic links are defined in the
security policies. These policies only by default are narrowed to Administrators.
It would quite silly to assume that nobody ever changes the default.

ED> I have brought this issue many times before in various posts. The
ED> 'b2 headers' command should always create symbolic links if
ED> possible, not hard links which are problematical in our modular-boos
ED> setup. Each time I have brought up this issue I have been told we
ED> are waiting for modular-boost issues itself to be fully resolved. We
ED> are evidently still waiting.

    if [ os.name ] = NT
    {
        MKLINK_OR_DIR on $(target) = mklink /D \"$(target)\" \"$(relative)\"
;
    }

I hope you recognize /D.

--