Subject: [boost] [build] Headers rule does both too much and too little
From: John Maddock (boost.regex_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-02-18 08:46:58

Folks I don't think the headers rule is working very well at present -
it seems to both do too much and too little depending on the context:

Too much:

If I build the type_traits tests so everything is up to date, and then
touch say type_with_alignment.hpp, then in libs/type_traits/test do:

bjam add_const_test

And for some strange reason bjam thinks there's a dependency on
type_with_alignment.hpp from add_const_test, and there really isn't. In
fact *every* test seems to be out of date now.

Too little:

The headers under boost/config/ are included via macros so aren't placed
in the dependency graph. I can fix this easily enough in the
Boost.Config tests, but ideally this should be fixed at the top level by
making everything under boost/config/ a dependency of boost/config.hpp.
  This is currently causing some Boost.Config tests to fail in the
online matrix, I bet there are others as well.

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks, John.