Subject: [boost] Library metadata
From: Daniel James (dnljms_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-02-23 09:55:51

Hi,

I'm starting to add metadata to modules for updating the website, and
hopefully other uses in the future. I added the metadata to
Boost.Unordered and Boost.Functional to give you an idea of what this
will look like:

https://github.com/boostorg/functional/tree/develop/meta
https://github.com/boostorg/unordered/tree/develop/meta

You can see several libraries listed in the Boost.Functional file.
I'll write some documentation soon, but it should be fairly easy to
understand. I basically took what was in the website library list and
split it up into modules. Quick summary of the fields:

key - Used to be the website to identify each library. Don't change
it, or the website will think it's a new library.
boost-version - The version in which the library was released.
name - The name of the library.
authors - The authors of the library - will probably add a
'maintainers' field later.
description - Library description - this is used in the library list,
so keep it short.
std-proposal - Is the library proposed for the standard.
std-tr1 - Is the library part of TR1.
category - The categories the library belongs to. one element for each
category. The documentation will include a list of available
categories.
documentation - Path to the documentation.

The documentation field is optional. If it isn't included, it'll use
the default path: /libs/module-name/. If it is included, relative
paths are resolved relative to the module directory, absolute paths
from boost root - although I'd suggest you always use a path within
the module, and if there's only a single library in a module, use the
default path.

This isn't the final format - I think the standards status fields
could do with an overhaul to support C++11 etc. You also don't need to
write the initial files yourself, I'll generate them and create pull
requests once this is settled.

Let me know what you think.

thanks,

Daniel