Subject: Re: [boost] [GSoC] pipelines questions
From: Vicente J. Botet Escriba (vicente.botet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-02-24 18:01:39

Le 24/02/14 21:58, Thaler Benedek a écrit :
> Hi,
Hi,
> I'm interested in the Boost.Pipelines proposal of GSoC 2014. [0] I'd like
> to ask the stakeholder (Vicente J. Botet Escriba ?) the following:
>
> * Is this supposed to be built from scratch or rather to be some kind of
> improvement over the already existing google implementation? [1]
from scratch using whatever C++11 library (or Boost). The Google
implementation is just one implementation that can be inspected.
> * If the former is true, should be n3534 [2] considered as a strict
> requirement or as a vague suggestion?
I'm open to any design that improves the proposal.

> * If the later is true, which features should be the main distinctive ones?
> I think about things like using Boost libraries (e.g: Boost.Atomic) instead
> of custom solutions, cross platform support, comply to Boost coding
> standard, etc. Are there any areas of improvement identified in the
> reference implementation?
I have not inspected too much the Google implementation :(

I would prefer to have an implementation that takes advantage of any
C++11 feature that make the user interface more friendly. Only once we
have this implementation we would move to a portable implementation to
C++98 compilers using Boost.

> * I understand it might take quite a long time for a proposal to make it to
> Boost, therefore it's not a requirement. Is there any objective milestone
> that a successful project should reach anyway?
I would prefer that the project delivers something that can be included
into boost at each step. That is the project would be iterative and so
there would be something useful at the end.
Boost.thread contains already most of the building blocks (thread safe
queue and executors), so I don't think that the project will take too
long. The time given by GSoC should be enough.

Best,
Vicente