Subject: Re: [boost] libcpp.hpp always defines BOOST_NO_CXX11_HDR_ATOMIC
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-02-28 19:33:20

On 2/28/2014 12:32 PM, Peter Dimov wrote:
> John Maddock wrote:
>> > The libc++ config header, libcpp.hpp, always defines
>> > BOOST_NO_CXX11_HDR_ATOMIC, but the libc++ that - I presume - ships with
>> > "Apple LLVM version 5.0 (clang-500.2.79) (based on LLVM 3.3svn)"
>> appears
>> > to have a functional <atomic>.
>>
>> Do you have a patch that identifies when we don't need to set that macro?
>
> Unfortunately not. I'm not very up to speed with Clang. I did install
> LLVM 3.4 for Windows, but it crashes on every nontrivial use of
> std::cout. :-)

Just a quickie comment <g>.

My own attempt to test clang on Windows with Boost show that it is still
largely inoperable with most Boost libraries:

1) clang with MingW/gcc RTL - no multi-threading support.
2) clang-cl with VC++ RTL - no exception or RTTI support.

These lead to various errors trying to test a number of Boost libraries,
starting with config and MPL. Your own attempts may vary. I did add a
few simple changes to both config and MPL on 'develop' to try to
accomodate just compiling with clang-cl since it is emulating VC++.

I did not try to test non-Boost code.

I do not think either clang Windows implementations above are really
ready for Boost code. The clang developers are fully aware of these
issues and are evidently "working" on them, but they have many other
priorities. So personally I would wait awhile before seriously trying to
get clang on Windows working with Boost if that is your intention.