Subject: Re: [boost] GSoC 2014 - Functional - Monad
From: Ding Xiangfei (a0113627_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-03-17 03:46:18

Vicente J. Botet Escriba <vicente.botet <at> wanadoo.fr> writes:

> Le 11/03/14 19:26, Ding Xiangfei a écrit :
> > Hello, Vincete,
> >
> > Sorry for this delayed reply. Yes, I have learnt a subset of Javascript as
> > <snip>
> >
> > I have spent time carefully reading the code of the Pure library and think
> > that the Pure library provides a good framework for implementation of
> > monads. Here, I propose an extension to monad templates in the library to
> > make monads for std::future using the then() method. I also propose monads
> > containing functions as well that enables chaining of functions and
> > potentially currying. The implementation may slightly differ from the Pure
> > library because some parts of functors for specific categories can be moved
> > inside monads to reduce compilation time on template resolution. My concern
> > is that when chaining of functions is frequent, compilation time may
> > increase significantly since this library relies on template heavily and
> > functors are placed outside monad definitions.
> >

> Hi Ding,
>
> its time to make a concrete proposal.
>
> Best,
> Vicente

Hello, Vincete,

  Thank you for the previous advice. Based on the ideas I had, I have written a draft proposal for this project. The Google Doc link is as follow:

        https://docs.google.com/document/d/1sdgO63-SFo9IhPvfcwNSrwVEey9Pl9V9ftmZDPzrqO4/edit?usp=sharing

  As the proposal is not final and I am still thinking about any new ideas about monads, I would like to invite you for comments and evaluation on
the manageability and viability of this project.

  Besides, I also added some experimental features that I would like to make during (hopfully) or after this summer. Comments on these features are
also appreciated.

  Thank you very much.

Regards,
Ding