Subject: Re: [boost] Getting fully uptodate
From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-03-29 14:15:14

I have noted this too (but I have new liquid-cooled 8-core machine and it is
fast ;-)

Usually a refresh helps, but it is still red.

> Depending on the number of files in the repo I work with, it can happen that
it takes
> a minute or more to udpate. (I'm on a windows laptop most of the time) I don't
trust
> the icons anymore and only trust what git or mercurial tells me directly,
except when
> I have not been working recently with the repo.
>
> It is not totally clear to me if it's only the icons that are red for you or
does git also
> says that there is some changes to commit.

I:\modular-boost\libs\sync>git status
HEAD detached from 44d4825
nothing to commit, working directory clean

But my HEAD is detached (perhaps my brain also ;-)

This gave me a clue to get reattached to develop? And I've got the icon green.

> My understanding is that it says there is no changes, which mean that the
icons are
> just not up to date.

I think it also means "HEAD detached".

But I now have problem with system (and math)

"The submodule "libs/system" is dirty (I never touched it - honest!)

Merely committing the superproject cannot track or save changes to the
submodule.

Commit the submodule now or ignore dirty changes?"

Ah - I see I have a build .log file and deleting this makes it go green.

How do I allow keeping unadded untracked .log files in the tree?

 Using a modular-boost/.gitignore file?
 Using a modular-boost/libs/system/.gitignore file?

Similar problem with generated files in libs/math which was detached HEAD but is
now

I:\modular-boost\libs\math>git status
On branch develop
Your branch is up-to-date with 'origin/develop'.

Untracked files:
  (use "git add <file>..." to include in what will be committed)

        .gitignore
        example/nonfinite_XML_archive_test.txt
        example/nonfinite_archive_test.txt
        example/test.txt
        test/nonfinite_XML_archive_test.txt
        test/nonfinite_archive_test.txt
        test/test.txt

nothing added to commit but untracked files present (use "git add" to track)

Is this now in a clean OK state?

SVN never caused all this mucking about - what am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Paul

---
Paul A. Bristow