Subject: Re: [boost] [winrt support] Adding support for Windows 8 store/phone to Boost libraries
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-04-29 08:49:44

On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 2:12 PM, Niall Douglas
<s_sourceforge_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> BTW, I'll shortly be coming to this list with a new sync object for
> Boost.Thread called a "permit object" which wraps the failed POSIX
> pthreads permit object proposal for C11 which solves some of the
> problems of using condition variables directly. It looks a bit like
> half of a Win32 event object, but has stronger guarantees. Anyway
> it'll need to be reviewed here before it can enter Boost.Thread, so
> it may be useful for you to watch that process unfold to give you an
> idea of what may be involved with your patchset as a good chunk of
> yours also involves Boost.Thread. You might see something next week
> or so, or after the C++ Now conference.

<offtopic> I believe, the general target for low-level thread
synchronization should be Boost.Sync. It's a little in a hanging state
now, but in the long term it should supersede Boost.Thread
synchronization primitives. That said, I'm not aware of "permit
objects", so I don't know how well it would fit in Boost.Sync.
</offtopic>