Subject: Re: [boost] Why no non-null smart pointers?
From: Matt Calabrese (rivorus_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-04-29 14:38:03

On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 8:20 AM, Jeff Hill <johill_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> I also find the nill state of shared_ptr to be a liability when designing
> interfaces. The primary purpose of shared_ptr when used in an interface
> context is to convey ownership, and almost always it feels wrong to also
> provide simultaneously an option to convey ownership of nothing. The poor
> user is left with the responsibility of testing every shared_ptr he has
> received for null state before using it, but its easy to forget and the
> compiler provides no assistance. Ultimately, the library interface based on
> shared_ptr is more error prone, less likely to be easy to use, and
> therefore
> arguably suboptimal.
>
> Of course no one suggests that shared_ptr should (or could) be changed in
> ways that impacts backwards compatibility, but I have to agree with the
> author of the post that this issue can be identified as a legitimate cause
> for concern.
>
> Jeff

There is usefullness to null and non-null smart pointers. Just so we're not
repeating thoughts here too much, this was also discussed at the end of
last year:

I think the general consensus is that people want non-null smart pointers
(myself included), but there are many subtleties that people disagree on.
Be sure to read that thread going down paths that have been traveled before.

--
-Matt Calabrese