Subject: Re: [boost] [filesystem] Request for comments onproposedrelative()function
From: Peter Dimov (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-05-16 11:51:46

Yakov Galka wrote:

> Basically higher rank elements erase the lower rank ones, highest rank is
> absolute. So here, rank(drive) > rank(root) > rank(regular), rank(x) = max
> rank of elements of x. You add the requirement that relative() returns a
> minimal-rank path, and I think you are ok with uniquiness on Windows and
> Unix.

It's a bit more complicated than that on Windows, because these two:

z1 = "/a"
z2 = "c:a"

have the same rank (or, to be precise, their ranks can't be ordered) - both
are between relative and absolute. One is drive-relative,
directory-absolute, other is drive-absolute, directory-relative.

I think that the definition still holds, though.