Subject: Re: [boost] [review] Convert library
From: Hartmut Kaiser (hartmut.kaiser_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-05-25 22:44:29

Volodya,

> Thank you for your input. It's much appreciated. From the critical tone
> of your post I'll take it you are voting "no". If you did not state it
> by accident, then I am happy to do that for you. If you did not state it
> intentionally, then I think you should as you should not be shying away
> from your community responsibilities. :-) Please find my replies below.

I intentionally have not cast a vote as I don't have put enough effort into
a proper review. My main goal was to support Jeroen in his review.

In any case, I wanted to mention a possible alternative to the design using
optional<>. Boost.Filesystem and Boost.Asio give a nice precedent on how to
construct a library interface supporting both, throwing and non-throwing
functions without introducing penalties for either case (based on
Boost.System). Using something similar for Convert seems to be a good idea.

Regards Hartmut
http://boost-spirit.com
http://stellar.cct.lsu.edu