Subject: Re: [boost] [config] any macro to detect "Rvalue references for *this"?
From: Andrzej Krzemienski (akrzemi1_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-05-26 03:15:38

> On Sat, May 24, 2014 at 10:41 AM, Andrzej Krzemienski <akrzemi1_at_[hidden]
> >wrote:

> > > Hi,
> > > Is there a macro in Boost.Config that would help me test if a compiler
> > > supports a C++11 feature "Rvalue references for *this" (
> > > http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2007/n2439.htm)?
> > >

> > Here is the Trac ticket: https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/10067
> >

> Have you considered writing it yourself and then submitting a pull request?
>
> The process of creating a defect macro is documented at:
>

> http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_55_0/libs/config/doc/html/boost_config/guidelines_for_boost_authors.html#boost_config.guidelines_for_boost_authors.adding_new_defect_macros
>
> and of course there are lots of examples in the config library to look at.

Thanks for pointing me to these instructions. However, it may require of me
more time that I am can afford. I do not understand some of the
instructions. One of the bullets says:

"cd into libs/config/test/all and run bjam *MACRONAME compiler-list*, where
> *MACRONAME* is the name of the new macro, and *compiler-list* is a space
> separated list of compilers to test with."

This "compiler-list", I obviously want the macro to work for all possible
compilers supported by Boost (and perhaps more), but locally, I can only
test it on one. In order to define macro correctly, I would have to use
Boost's testing facility, but they are only run on develop and master
branches which I cannot commit to. Without having tested my macros on all
compilers, I am not sure if my pull request would be a decent one. IOW, I
have a chicken and egg problem here, which I do not know how to solve.

any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,
&rzej