Subject: Re: [boost] [modularization] proposal and poll
From: Peter Dimov (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-05-30 10:33:43

Stephen Kelly wrote:

> I recommend you return to the question of whether Boost wants to
> modularize or not.

The root of the problem is that absence of modularity is (a) invisible, and
(b) carries no cost.

It is invisible because there is no current easy way for developers and
users to see a dependency report.

It carries no cost because currently Boost developers pay no price at all
for introducing a dependency and derive no benefit from severing one.
(Realistically, neither do most users.)

Unless and until these two issues are addressed, modularization will - in my
opinion - not happen.

I am not entirely sure what needs to be done on the second front, but we can
at least do something on the first one.