Subject: Re: [boost] [modularization] proposal and poll
From: Nat Goodspeed (nat_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-05-30 11:03:15

On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 9:45 AM, Stephen Kelly <hello_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> The initial topic of this thread was 'Does Boost have modularization as a
> goal'. There seems to have been topic-creep.

Well, Julian asked a specific question, and he started a new thread in
which to do it (albeit related to, and even linked to, some previous
threads). I think his approach was appropriate. That said, I admit I'm
being a bit pedantic here.

> Especially if you think 'Does this library use C++11' and 'Does this library
> use C++14' are good questions, you should reconsider and re-frame your
> question in terms of what features are required from the compiler instead.

Okay, excellent point.

> HOWEVER: All of this is off-topic for this thread. I'm listing it only
> because people are thinking too far down the line and getting stuck. I
> recommend dropping discussion of tooling and how to record/resolve
> dependencies.
>
> I recommend you return to the question of whether Boost wants to modularize
> or not.

I have been taking the liberty of inferring that each positive
response to Julian's question is a +1 for the overarching question of
whether Boost should finish modularizing. Any responder who supports
Julian's proposal but not the concept of modular Boost, please feel
free to correct me.

> If you do want that, then consider whether my recommendations linked in the
> start of the thread are specific or concrete.

Steven, you specifically mean this post, yes?

And the recommendations in question are to move a handful of specific
header files to specific other libraries, correct?

n.b. Although I hadn't previously seen the linked post (I joined the
dev list rather recently), it directly supports my claim a few
messages back that _tracking_ cross-library dependencies immediately
gives us metrics by which to evaluate all subsequent
dependency-reduction efforts. :-)