Subject: Re: [boost] Proposal: Boost.Core
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-06-01 15:15:57

On Sunday 01 June 2014 19:44:48 Peter Dimov wrote:
> Andrey Semashev wrote:
>
> On Sunday 01 June 2014 18:54:05 Peter Dimov wrote:
> > > In particular, it seems to me that the 'winapi' subdirectory (plus
> > > interlocked.hpp) should be its own library.
> >
> > I was thinking about Boost.Config as one of its purpose is to define a
> > Boost-wide interface for setting the supported Windows version. Although I
> > admit that many of the winapi/* headers may be updated as Boost libraries
> > are developed (namely, Boost.Sync).
>
> Doesn't look very Config to me, and is certainly likely to see active
> development.

winapi/config.hpp contains the configuration part, this header is quite
stable. Except if we decide to target NT6 by default the default version has
to be updated.

> It's a legitimate library, in my opinion. Plus, if it's
> intended to be used by other libraries except Sync, it needs to have some
> minimal documentation, if only to list what Windows API is provided, and by
> which header.

It is used by Chrono and Vicente was planning to port Thread as well.

As most of our implementation details, it is not documented, true. Not sure if
there's a need to add official docs, this tool is for Boost developers only
and the headers pretty much reflect parts of windows.h. MSDN documents these
APIs rather well.