Subject: Re: [boost] A few more critical dependencies
From: Peter Dimov (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-06-05 12:01:18

Rene Rivera wrote:

> OK, it's the automatic merge on github I can no longer do. Two things:

It was the latest commit, "Reverting (c) to human author", that created the
merge conflict.

> 1. In the future please do not fast-forward history on master branches. It
> messes up the natural flow of the git history.

I didn't fast-forward history, if by that you mean "git merge develop" - I
moved the file via git log / git am in both branches per

https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/NewLibByRefactor

Most of the history of this file is from the SVN and the transition doesn't
preserve any merge points, so the two branches appear completely separate,
even though the commits turn out to be actually identical in this case.

> 2. Could you do me the favor of merging on the command line?

Done. I had to cherry-pick the latest develop commit first though, to avoid
the conflict.

C:\Projects\boost-git\boost\libs\predef>git cherry-pick develop
[master bcdaa18] Reverting (c) to human author.
Author: Rene Rivera <grafikrobot_at_[hidden]>

C:\Projects\boost-git\boost\libs\predef>git status
# On branch master
# Your branch is ahead of 'origin/master' by 1 commit.
# (use "git push" to publish your local commits)
#
nothing to commit, working directory clean

C:\Projects\boost-git\boost\libs\predef>git merge --no-ff develop
Auto-merging build.jam
Merge made by the 'recursive' strategy.
jamroot.jam => build.jam | 3 +--
test/.gitignore | 1 +
rename jamroot.jam => build.jam (81%)

C:\Projects\boost-git\boost\libs\predef>git status
# On branch master
# Your branch is ahead of 'origin/master' by 20 commits.
# (use "git push" to publish your local commits)
#
nothing to commit, working directory clean

C:\Projects\boost-git\boost\libs\predef>git diff master..develop

C:\Projects\boost-git\boost\libs\predef>git push
Counting objects: 5, done.
Compressing objects: 100% (3/3), done.
Writing objects: 100% (3/3), 481 bytes | 0 bytes/s, done.
Total 3 (delta 1), reused 0 (delta 0)
To https://github.com/boostorg/predef.git
   4dd9dc7..3902dd7 master -> master