Subject: Re: [boost] [pimpl] No documentation for pointer semantics
From: Gavin Lambert (gavinl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-06-05 19:58:49

On 6/06/2014 11:27, quoth Edward Diener:
> The documentation for "Pimpl with Value Semantics" has:
>
> "and was deployed in the previous chapter for the Pimpls with pointer
> semantics..."
>
> but there is no previous chapter about Pimpl with pointer semantics.
> From that point on the documentation of "Pimpl with Value Semantics
> makes no sense to me and I do not know what is being explained.

I believe the prior chapter being referred to is the directly prior
chapter, titled "Getting Started", which shows a class implemented using
pointer semantics.

To be honest I'm a little surprised that pointer semantics are even
discussed; I've always regarded a pointer-semantics-pimpl as a bug
rather than intentional design. I suppose there could be occasions
where it could be useful for more abstract resources (eg. a database
connection) but doing it for a Book does not seem appropriate to me.
(Perhaps that's just my internal biases showing though.)