Subject: Re: [boost] How to identify sub-libraries/modules of a library?
From: Peter Dimov (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-06-09 06:59:40

Vicente J. Botet Escriba wrote:

> Could someone point me where can I find the things to do to split a
> library in submodules?
> How to identify them?
> How to have separated regression test pages?
> What the new boostdev tool needs?

Sub-submodules are subdirectories in the module directory that have their
own directory structure inside:

    include/
    test/
    doc/
    src/

and so on.

The regression script creates a separate page if the module directory
contains a file named 'sublibs' and the Jamfile for the sub-submodule is in
a test subdirectory of the subsubmodule subdirectory. (I think).

So:

libs/module
    sublibs
    submodule/
        test/
            Jamfile.v2

'boostdep' identifies a subsubmodule such as those in numeric by looking for
a sublibs file and an include/ directory.

libs/module
    sublibs
    submodule/
        include/
            boost/
                module/
                    submodule/
                        header.hpp

In summary, the structure you need is:

libs/module/
    sublibs
    submodule/
        include/
        test/

Subsubmodules are a bit of a pain for the tools though, so I'm not sure if
it's a good idea to create more of them. Since they are all in the same
repository, they are not actually separate modules on a physical level, they
will just appear this way in the report. So it'd be a bit deceptive.