Subject: Re: [boost] Boost Library Incubator recommended by steering committee
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-06-18 11:29:39

Klaim - Joël Lamotte wrote
> On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 6:32 AM, Robert Ramey <

> ramey@

> > wrote:
>
>> > ps. Robert must have put some crafty code into the website - right now
>> > it manages to reliably blow out my Firefox (-;

Hmmm - I just went through it with firefox (on my MAC) and didn't find any
problems.

>> Note that there is a section "About" where you can post suggestions
>> regarding
>> the website itself. crashing firefox would be interesting to know.
>>

> By the way there is indeed a lot of problems from my pov and I was
> thinking
> (by experience) that if you
> want this kind of website/application, you probably want to stay away from
> wordpress... but then you'll have to develop a bit.
> Certainly worth it but I can't help with that so I understand the
> Wordpress
> choice (even if I think in the end it will be more time burnt than help).

I touched upon alternatives in the "About" section of the website.
Short version - I tried a bunch of them. Note: Not just considered
or reviews - actually tried them. Nothing came close to wordpress
in being able to produce what I wanted with the effort I had
available. Basically I managed to get everything I wanted with
1000 lines of code. I don't believe any of the alternatives could
have done that. As for being "messy" - they all are based in
a similar combination of the tools mentioned above. Bottom line
I just don't think any of the other alternatives would have come
close to this.

> A few issues I saw yesterday (using Chrome):
> - it's not clear where I should report, the "contact the author" have no
> link;

> - the library list by category is empty for me (I see a page with header
> and all the theme but no content);

I added the "About this website" to explain the above. It has also
a place for comments and discussion. My intent was that this be
a place for gathering this type of feed back.

> - if I click on a library name in the alphabetical library list, I end up
> in a "Library Submission" page which have all the fields pre-filled
> with the library information but still modifiable. It is not clear to
> me
> if this is a voluntary hack to display these info without having
> to implement another page or if it is just a bug and it should have
> been
> another page. In any way; the "Library Submission" title
> and the writable fields makes it seems buggy.

It's a deliberate choice to reuse code and forms. The form is updateable
by the author and read only for everyone else. This saved considerable
code and I would be loath to change it. But I'm willing to entertain
suggestions
to make the intent more obvious and make it seem less buggy.

> - having the front page text stretch all the width of the screen makes it
> very hard to read, both because it makes too long lines
> and because there is no space between the left and right border and the
> text itself. This is against text ergonomic "rules"
> and I should point that even scientific studies seem to suggest that too
> long lines makes it hard to read.

This is my personal preference. Personally it drives me crazy to have
he web pages not fit on browser window. This way I can just adjust
the window to the size and shape I like and the text is (almost) layer
out perfectly.
  Just in case, I don't believe that asking the user to change his window's
size to read that particular website is reasonable.

> By the way this problem is also apparent in a lot of Boost libraries
> documentation and I do still have a hard time with reading most
> boost doc because of this.

again - I love the way the boost documentation adjusts to the current
window size. I think ALL web pages should work this way. I just
don't see anyway to reconcile these points of view.

> In any way, thanks for the hard work; I know it's not easy to setup this
> kind of tool correctly.

LOL - I'm going to ignore the implication that it's currently setup
incorrectly.

Thanks for taking the time to comment on this.

Robert Ramey