Subject: Re: [boost] big problem with dependency changes
From: Bjørn Roald (bjorn_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-06-21 09:59:35

On 06/21/2014 12:59 PM, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> Bjørn Roald wrote:

>>> That way, you'd have a command line with 100 -I elements, which is
>>> rather inconvenient to look at, or run by hand, and can make Windows
>>> unhappy,
>>
>> For info:
>>
>> CMake solves this on Windows (at least for linking) by creating a file
>> with commandline options, which can be passed to cl command-line as a
>> single filename option. But this solution is a real pain as these
>> temporary files are gone when you want to see what are passed to the
>> compiler. So there is no simple way to trace what is going on when
>> something is not working. Tracing down some problems in cmake on
>> windows has been a real pain due to this.
>
> FYI:
>
> http://cmake.org/gitweb?p=cmake.git;a=blob;f=Modules/Platform/Windows.cmake;h=b158a9df

OK, I see.

It would have been nice if it just set CMAKE_START_TEMP_FILE to "" for
me when I pass VERBOSE=1 to nmake. But that may re-create the possible
issues with the command line length that use of temp files is designed
to work around. The best thing to do for build systems using such temp
files may be simply to list the content of the file after the command
line when doing verbose build output.

thanks,

--
Bjørn