Subject: Re: [boost] ASIO into the standard (was: Re: C++ committee meeting report)
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-07-02 09:31:01

On 2 Jul 2014 at 10:48, Stephan Menzel wrote:

> > There is also a strong argument that anything in ASIO which isn't
> > async needs to go.
>
> I was trying to discuss the same idea and met heavy resistance. Still an
> interesting read in that regard might be this bug:
> https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/2832
>
> Consider the age and duration of this still unsolved matter.

My only disagreement with Chris's position on that ticket is that in
my opinion he is unwise to keep any synchronous APIs in ASIO, because
he's going to get never ending hassle about them. If he made ASIO all
100% async, that hassle goes away.

In AFIO I have exactly one place where there is a synchronous API
which could block. I don't like it, but it's extremely convenient so
I've kept it (and it very rarely blocks). I'll probably regret that
decision in the future if AFIO ever became popular :(

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting
http://www.nedproductions.biz/