Subject: Re: [boost] C++ committee meeting report
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-07-03 06:31:40

On 2 Jul 2014 at 17:25, Bjorn Reese wrote:

> > Now a subset of it will become the standard networking library, I
> > hope that all other async proposals before the committee can be
> > amended to assume its existence, and that those async proposals -
> > especially those from proprietary vendors based on their proprietary
> > platform technologies - which can't or won't fit ASIO should be
> > discarded from consideration immediately.
>
> This appears to be happening. The Rapperswil minutes mention that the
> "Executors and Schedulers" section has been removed from N3970. No
> rationale is cited though, but I suspect that it was due to concerns
> raised in N4032 and N4046.

Heh.

I had missed N4032 actually, so thanks for that. I think Anthony
really nailed it in N4032, but equally I don't see any of it as
insurmountable.

Besides, a variant of Executors (not Schedulers) is being implemented
into Boost.Thread, and I myself am happy to contribute an Executors
adapter for ASIO. I suspect something like Executors based on
std::packaged_task<> will turn up. I personally would doubt that the
template based approach of N4046 is viable for standardisation, if
you need that fine grained I think the newly approved resumable
functions are a better fit. I also think that strands are also better
done as resumables.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting