Subject: Re: [boost] ASIO into the standard
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-07-06 14:18:46

On 6 Jul 2014 at 12:57, Bjorn Reese wrote:

> > All that said, I agree that Boost.iostreams' fundamental design
> > failure is that it wasn't built atop a 100% async i/o framework like
> > ASIO. Which is a shame, as STL iostreams could do with being
> > replaced.
>
> FYI, Gene Panov has submitted an async extension for Boost.Iostreams:
>
> http://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2013/10/206826.php

I remember this from last year. It seemed to me at the time (and now)
a sort of std::async for iostreams implementation that pushed the
formatting labour onto worker threads. If I am wrong on this, do say.

> I have been helping him getting the patch to follow Boost convensions,
> but perpetual lack of time has prevented me from finalizing it. The
> current works is at:
>
> https://github.com/breese/iostreams/tree/feature/async_stream/include/boost/iostreams/async

As much as this might be worthy, what I had in mind was an iostreams
that doesn't mind out of order data readiness, so if I schedule a
gather read from offsets A, B, C and D in a file, and they complete
in the order D, B, C, A with lumpy periods of time between
completions, the iostreams framework gets on with processing instead
of waiting around for all to complete.

Such an iostreams framework may seem excessively complex, but it's
latency optimal.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting