Subject: Re: [boost] ASIO into the standard
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-07-10 15:11:35

On 9 Jul 2014 at 22:53, Felipe Magno de Almeida wrote:

> >> I would hope Allocators would be added to ASIO in the standard. It
> >> is difficult to limit memory usage without Allocators in embedded
> >> systems.
> >
> > http://www.boost.org/doc/html/boost_asio/overview/core/allocation.html
> >
> > I do not know if it is used consistently inside Asio itself.
>
> Last time I checked it didn't used allocators on data structures, for
> example for buckets in a linked list. This might have changed by then. At
> that time Christopher didn't want to template the whole library to add
> allocator support, he had already tried and thought it to be impractical.

Nor are allocators consistently used for internals of STL containers.
They have to be used for the type being stored of course, but
internal data structures not exposed to external code may use any
allocator e.g. malloc().

The next TS from ISO has a type erased allocator. Ought to make
allocator support much easier.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting