Subject: Re: [boost] [build] b2 headers broken?
From: Jürgen Hunold (jhunold_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-07-16 02:01:15

Hi Steven,

Am Dienstag, 15. Juli 2014, 22:37:16 schrieb Steven Watanabe:
> AMDG
>
> On 07/15/2014 05:03 PM, Eric Niebler wrote:
> > For some reason, b2 thinks it needs to rerun b2 headers, but it does a
> > crap job of it and dies. What's going on?

> There are two problems here. First, the
> check that determines whether the linked
> directory matches the existing link seems
> to be failing (That's probably why it's
> rebuilding). I'm guessing that the path
> comparison algorithm is wrong, somehow.
> Second, the link is created without
> creating the directory that contains it
> first. I have no idea how that can happen.
>
> If you run b2 headers twice, starting from
> a clean checkout, the second run should do
> nothing. Is that the case? Does your
> problem appear for any library?

I can reproduce this. Please find the complete output of three consecutive "b2
headers" jobs attached. All on current develop branch.

The first one : ...updating 488 targets...
The second: ...updating 2175 targets...
The third: ...updating 280 targets...

It seems that the hardlinks for the directories created in the first run are
replaced with new directories containing file hardlinks in the second run. This
sometimes fails horrible.

Yours,

Jürgen

--
* Dipl.-Math. Jürgen Hunold  !
* voice: ++49 4257 300       ! Fährstraße 1